hello! today i would like to share a tutorial of how this layout came together. i made this layout to celebrate my 5th wedding anniversary.
this layout was inspired by this image i found on pinterest.
when i saw the image, i thought that i will be fun to add these origami hearts to my layout. so i went to search for my origami book i had since i was a child and found a page on how to fold these little hearts...
1. cut a piece of patterned paper into a 2.25 X 2.25 inch square.
2. fold it in half and open it back up.
3. fold the other side of the square in half. however, this time, do not press it down and create a crease across the square. instead, just press down in the middle where the arrow is pointing. this creates a little crease in the middle.
4. open it back up.
5. fold the top point of the paper to meet the little crease in the centre (the crease made in step 3).
6. fold the bottom point to meet the top.
7. fold the left side to meet the crease in the centre (the crease made in step 2).
8. press it down.
9. fold the right side to meet the crease in the centre.
10. flip the paper to the back.
11. fold the 2 top points of the heart and the right and left sides of the heart as shown.
12. flip the paper to the front and it's done!
for this page, i went ahead and made 5 hearts using different patterned papers. i choose the colors base on the gems that were included in the kit.
once the origami hearts are done, i wanted to create a background with watercolors. i used the watercolor paper that was included in the kit and the essentials watercolor set. i wanted get a flowy (if there is such a word) effect so i added more water and used a straw to blow the watercolors and water in different directions. this was how it looks like after 2 colors.
i basically used the gems to decide what are the colors and in what order to paint them.
this is how it looks like after i added all my 6 colors. love how the colors matches the hearts perfectly.
after the watercolors are dried, i went ahead to decide the placement for my photo. to layer my photo, my favourite way is to add a piece of vellum. i usually use my photo as a guide a fussy cut a piece of vellum that is slightly larger. then i went ahead to add my origami hearts, matching the colors of the hearts with the watercolors. next i added some die cut leaves i cut using my silhouette cameo. you can see now that most of the watercolors are actually covered in the end, but i love the subtle colors that are peeking from the sides and around the hearts.
next, i added my title with beautiful mint green acetate alphas ( i love these alphas and might have used it in 3 out of the 4 layouts i made for the reveal this month!) and added a gold label (another favourite item) for my journaling.
i scattered some gems on the layout. i place each gem to match the watercolors in the background. i added my journaling and date stamp and the layout was done!
i hope you enjoyed this tutorial! if you do create any projects with these origami hearts, do share them with me as i would love to see them!
and if you like to find out more about this fabulous kit i used, check it out here! you will also be happy to know that there is a promotion going on now for new subscribers - $10 off your first month. details are as follows:
thank you so much for dropping by and i hope to see you soon!